Rogers restoration #1

Fullerton restoration #1

I once owned a Rogers drum kit. I bought it in Brisbane and sold it when I came to Sydney. I always wanted it back. I never found it; however my long wait for a Rogers kit finally paid off. Here in Australia, they don’t come up too often. But eventually, this one did.

The kit as purchased

This kit came from Surfers Paradise, Queensland. I was attracted by the 8 & 10″ toms. I paid too much and shipping was a bomb. And they were orange, with the obligatory Pearl surgery.

8″, 10″, 12″ 16″ toms

Forget about the dreaded Pearl fittings; think instead about those lovely thin maple shells.

10″ shell pre-restoration

There was lots of work to do. I filled all the incorrectly drilled lug mounting holes with dowel. The 10″ was obviously a “Big R” and needed a lot of work. For these larger holes, I made plugs from maple. This involved slicing a piece off the maple, thinning it down with a belt sander, then using a Dremel to make the fit perfect.

Filling mount holes with dowel
Shells finished ready for wrapping.
Soundcheck time.
I chose Marine Pearl from age-appropriate Rogers finishes.
I purchased the wrap from Jammin’ Sams and used contact spray adhesive.
The finished kit. I went for suspended shells, since the kit came without hardware. I sold it to a lucky drummer from Melbourne. Hope it’s making great music.
A video on this restoration.